Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Empty Basement

We knew the day would eventually come.  

Kade and Minda have moved on and moved out.  With Kade's new job at Goldman Sachs and Minda able to transfer her student teaching, they found an apartment of their own and are happily living in Bountiful.  

To say it's left an empty space in our home and hearts is a bit of an understatement.  Matt and I bought this house with the specific idea of having them move in the basement while they finished up their education.  Now that they are gone, we're left with a lot of empty space to fill.  This house definitely has more square footage than we two need.

Until we figure out what we're going to do, I'm taking advantage of the space for quilting.  I now have two empty closets downstairs that are coming in very handy.  

And, I definitely have more floor space for laying out quilt tops.  Remember these fun squares from my last post?  

Didn't they come together nicely?  I love the scrappy sashing and how well it matches the monster fabric from the blocks.

I decided to continue with the scrappy look through to the backing and sashing.  It's going to be so fun!

Speaking of fun, we got the whole family together to celebrate Kade's 30th birthday as a "last hurrah" before they moved.  Prime rib and a cupcake cake, it was delicious.  I can't believe my baby is 30!

I love having all my babies under one roof.  I'll never take for granted the blessing of it.  


And now for the big news!  I can finally share that our family is growing.  K & M are expecting their first.  I am beyond excited.  

Spring is finally here.  It's hard to believe that just a month ago the snow in our front yard was waist high. 

Now, the daffodils are springing up in the flower beds... 

and some days are even warm enough for a quick run through the sprinklers.  

Spring is also "Shop Hop" season.  Earlier this month a bus load of quilters and I hit the road for an all day trip to visit shops up and down the Wasatch front.  



These are three of the best quilts I saw during the trip.  The last one reminds me of a murmuration of Starlings at eventide.  I'll definitely be making one like it in the near future.  
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave